Microfictions, Week 10: Black Horse and Famine

Preface:


If you haven't already, you should check out the previous installments in the series: 

Part 1:
White Horse and Pestilence  

Part 2:


Black Horse:

A sudden pang of hunger struck Eren deep in her stomach. Though this was unlike any hunger she had ever experienced. She glanced up at the night sky, and her heart became filled with dread. The blood-red sky was becoming engulfed by pitch-black darkness. 

The people in the village seemed deeply affected by this. She rode on further into the village, accompanying by troubled howls. She ran into her own house, to discover that her cupboards were completely barren. "That's odd," she muttered, "I just ran to the market yesterday". Then she went back outside and saw what caused the mysterious disappearance. 

Famine himself descended upon the town. On his mighty black steed, he carried large sacks of food which he hoarded for himself. He let a deep and sonorous laugh echo throughout the night. "I see that my brothers have already visited this wretched village. Very well," he spoke with a deep rumble. His large belly vibrated from the sheer force of his voice and he rode on into the pitch-black sky.

Famine:

Though a darkness and hunger plagu'd the night

She fought on, though there was no end in sight

Author's Note:

I thought that it would be really cool to do a series on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, so I decided to make this a four part series, and I started with Pestilence, the Rider of the White Horse. The next one in the cycle is War, the Rider of the Red Horse. This one is Famine, the Rider of the Black Horse. I decided to write the first story as a 100 word story, and then the second as a more traditional couplet (in iambic pentameter). 


(Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Image Credit: Boris Vallejo - Flickr)

Comments

  1. Chris, these stories were great! I like that you chose to write about the course horsemen of the apocalypse! I particularly liked the Famine story as it showed the resilience of the character to continue her work even when there was not an end in sight. This is a lesson many of us can learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    This story was awesome! I'm always so intrigued by anything surrounding the Four Horsemen so you definitely had my attention from the get go. One of my favorite parts of this piece was in the final paragraph when you mentioned something about Famine's "large belly". I think it's such an interesting detail that Famine is overweight seeing as how he represents the exact opposite. I definitely think it's a nice ironic twist! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris, your storybook is great. I really enjoyed reading your stories. I have seen the Four Horsemen, and I think you did a great job incorporating that into your story. The rider of the Red Horse reminded me of the ghost hunter movie with Nicholas Cage, maybe you could make another story with this twist and see how you like it. Overall you did a great job, keep up with a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey chris! once again your microfictions are so awesome! You should definitely include them in professors Gibbs collection of them. I think other people from future classes will enjoy them and get inspired by your work. Erin is such a great character! How did you come up with her? Was she inspired by something or someone you already knew? Great job once again! Hope you are doing well and your semester is going great! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Week #5 Story: Rama Goes to Therapy