Microfictions, Week 8: White Horse and Pestilence

White Horse:

The woods were not at all quiet tonight. A local villager, Eren, heard a disturbance. She looked to the sky, and she could tell that they were going to be in for a long night. She looked out to the distance and saw it. She saw the shimmering white mane of the horse, and her heart froze. She knew the irony that that white horse brought. Thought the horse bore a smile demure, its rider was all too impure. Eren, like the others in the village, knew the rider only by his attribute: Pestilence. Eren grabbed her own horse and rode into town, preparing them all for the grim evening they were about to face. 


Pestilence:

The smell of rotting flesh pierc'd the night sky. 

'Twas simply all she could do to not cry. 


Author's Note:

I thought that it would be really cool to do a series on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, so I decided to make this a four part series, and I started with Pestilence, the Rider of the White Horse. I decided to write the first story as a 100 word story, and then the second as a more traditional couplet (in iambic pentameter). I like this model and will probably explore it more with the upcoming microfictions. 


(Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Image Credit: Boris Vallejo - Flickr)

Comments

  1. Hi Chris,
    I liked this story and the accompanying couplet a lot! I'm familiar with the concept of the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the Bible, but your story inspired me to look them up and read more about them. I'm curious to see how this series develops. Do all four horsemen descend upon the same village at once? It's also interesting that you chose to set your story in an old-timey village. I like the atmosphere it creates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,

    This micro-fiction story is a great read. I am not familiar with the four horsemen of the apocalypse. From your author's note, it looks like this will be a multiple part story, so I am excited to read the rest. After doing some quick research, I actually understood the story. The white horse represents christ or anti-christ, so I see why the villagers were so vigilant about the situation. I look forward to reading the rest of this four part series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Week #5 Story: Rama Goes to Therapy