Microfictions: Grind to Dust

Grind:

As I sat in front of my music stand, I realized that I have so much to do. I have audition tapes due at the end of this month, a prelim competition performance at the end of this month, a recital next month, more audition tapes due at the end of next month. The list goes on and on. I've made my spreadsheets to organize my practice schedule. Every session is detailed down to the half hour at least (some parts of a session are detailed down to the minute). I am being intentional with everything that I do and I understand that refining any ability takes consistent and dedicated effort. I will get better. Just you wait and see. 


Dust:

"Why am I not better yet?"


Author's Note:

I decided to write a little story about what I've been experiencing lately. I wanted to write an autobiographical fiction about the mental battle I've been going through. I think that the dichotomy of thought here is important. It's good to grind, but you have to understand that progress comes in small doses, and should be measured as such. If you can be a better person than the person you were yesterday, but not a better person than the one who you will be tomorrow, then you're on the right track. 



Comments

  1. Chris, this short story about the grind and dust really tells us a lot about what It means to work hard toward a goal. Often times we work really hard and expect immediate results but this is not reality. We must be patient with results and let our work show for itself no matter how long it may take. What is important is that we keep working steadily towards a goal one day at a time! Great story man and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, I and glad that I read your story and relate to it too. I loved your author's note and strive to be a better person. Keep up the grind and the results will come !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,
    I enjoyed reading your story and it was short and sweet. I think often the shortest stories can get the most across. This shows the mental battle of a grind, and it really focuses on winning the small battles. I definitely could see you expanding on this story if you wanted too. Keep up the good work Chris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Week #5 Story: Rama Goes to Therapy