Week #5 Story: Rama Goes to Therapy

Rama Goes to Therapy:

On the vahana ride back to Ayodha, it was a tense environment. Rama and Lakshmana, with the help of the ape king Sugriva and Hanuman, had just rescued Sita. Upon rescuing her, she was thrilled to be reunited with her love but Rama had turned cold, for he doubted her fidelity and believed that she had slept with Ravana during her capture.

Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana sat there in an awkward silence the likes of which had never been experienced by any of them before. Finally, in an attempt to cut the tension, Lakshmana spoke:

"So, Sita? How are you holding up?"

She sighed, "I'm okay. Though that was certainly not fun to be detained for so long. Thank you for rescuing me." She nudged Rama gently, who was holding the reins on the vahana.

"Of course I would rescue you, Sita. You are my wife." Rama replied, though it seemed that his thoughts were diverted elsewhere. 

They land in Ayodha and Rama is welcomed back with a true celebration by his vigilant brother Bhatan, who has watched the throne since Rama's exile. 

At Rama's Coronation ceremony, everyone is dressed luxuriously and the ceremony is as beautiful as ever. However, the tensions between Rama and Sita have not yet passed. Lakshmana knows this and he speaks to Rama in private while people are mingling.

"Brother, I congratulate you on your coronation. However, I can't help but notice that things are... less than optimal between you and your beloved Sita. If you don't resolve this soon, I fear that there will not be much left to resolve."

"Aye," replied Rama, "you're correct. Things have been different between us. I just have trouble trusting her fidelity since she was with Ravana for so long. How am I supposed to rule with an unchaste wife?"

Lakshmana paused, and then spoke again with hesitation in his voice: "Brother, perhaps you should see the court therapist. She was very helpful to me when Father died"

Rama decided that his brother is correct and pays the court therapist a visit the next morning. He fills her in on the events that happened with Sita's kidnapping and her rescue.

The therapist listened attentively, and when she spoke, it was with a voice that was noticeably calm and soothing, "So you feel a disconnect between you and your partner because you're worried about her fidelity? Yet she was tested by the god of fire himself and you still have doubts? Rama, doubts are a normal thought to possess, but you can't let them consume your life. Right now, you have a partner who has just suffered through weeks of detainment at the hands of a demon king. She needs support and stability in her life."

Rama digested these words, and spoke again, "But how can I love a woman who may have been unchaste?"

The therapist sighed, and took off her glasses: "You keep contending this point. Are you actually concerned about Sita's chastity or are you just realizing that you're falling out of love with her because suddenly she is no longer in a position to feed your hero-rescuer complex? Or is it that you have such a deep-seated need to be viewed as perfect that even so much as the suggestion of an unchaste wife would permanently mar your reputation? Because, the way I see it is that you have a loyal partner who literally went through a test of fire for you and you are still suspicious of her. That seems to me to be the ultimate loyalty test. Have some faith in your partner. After all, she had faith that you would come to rescue her."

Her words hung in the air like a dense, permeating cloud. But Rama recognized that she made good points and that he had some self-reflection to do. He thanked her and went back to his chambers to meditate on how to become a better partner. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: This story acts as an alternate ending to Part D of the Ramayana. I knew that the ending and Rama's behavior in particular did not sit right with me at all. So, I did a lot of thinking over this week as to why he behaved this way. What really helped me was watching "Sita Sings the Blues" by Nina Paley (link) for the readings this week. I started writing out some thoughts on my Part B notes here and that was where I got the idea for this story. 

(therapist and a patient - image credit)


Comments

  1. Hey Chris!

    Wow! This was such a great read. I relate to the feeling you described regarding Rama's behavior towards Sita. The film showed a different perspective of the story. The writing style in this story is also extraordinary. The dialogue with descriptive actions really set an image of the setting like "awkward silence" and "to the cut the tension." I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris!
    This might have been the best version of this story I have ever seen. It's amazing that your story started off by explaining the tension between Rama and Sita then went to have it resolved so cleanly. Of course, the story didn't completely end with their relationship improving, but I think the readers can expect it to go well. I think you prove a great point that I didn't realize before and it's that because everyone made everything Rama did to be good and just, he might have lost objectivity. With someone to admonish him and tell him that he is wrong, he's able to become a better person and make better decisions. Thank you for a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    This was a great read and I really enjoyed reading this story you chose to wrote. Part D of Ramayana was probably one of my favorite and I enjoyed how you decided to bring the film into perspective. I think I should watch the film and understand how it is different than the original/short story of it. The therapist definitely was a good thing to talk about and really helped the understanding of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris! What a cool story. Putting the therapy spin on this story is so cool, and I think you have a really good grasp on storytelling. I feel like putting everything in the perspective of a professional really adds to the story. Do you think you could continue this as sort of a series? I think it would be a really cool idea if you continue through some of the major stories and events in future readings from the perspective a psychiatric professional. I am not quite sure how you could go about this without being repetitive, but it may be worth thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris!
    I have to start off with “Wow” as well! Like other have said, I think this is one of the best versions I’ve read so far! It was thorough, well thought out, and well written. What I loved the most about what you added was your used of language. It was so beautifully written. Your use of uncommon vernacular took it to the next level. I also loved the inclusion of dialogue. I agree with Mikayla, if there was anything you wanted to do differently next time you write a story like this, maybe include several other perspectives, although I think this was an incredible version as is. Maybe you could add villager perspectives, or Sugriva’s. I think it could add more of a sense of urgency in what’s going on between Rama and Sita. Maybe even some internal conflict in Rama would add to the story. Otherwise, like I mentioned before, it was a great piece! Good luck, and I can’t wait to read more of what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi chris! I really enjoyed your story I thought it was so unique and creative. I also really liked how you set up and wrote your story. Your ways of describing the story and its detail helped me picture in my head better. I wonder what would sita therapy session would be like! I think that would be a great idea for a possible next story. You could give sitas rendition and thoughts of how things went or maybe even do a couples session. Another small suggestion could possibly be to add how Rama feels about having the burden of trying to be a great king to his people and be a great hero all the time. This was such a great piece to read and so easy to get into and follow! These are just some small suggestions, your story is great! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris,
    I really like the direction you took the story. It seems more real or modern to me. I don't know if those are the best words to describe it but the story makes more sense to me. I very much like this alternative compared to Sita leaving, then coming back just to be consumed by the Earth. Also, it was very well written and flowed very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chris! I just stumbled upon this story, but I really enjoyed reading about Rama and therapy. It definitely adds another layer to his character and helps explain some of his actions. I think that it gave insight into the thoughts that were going through his mind during the story, and he for sure had some things that he needed to work through. This was such a great idea, and it was super fun to read about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post